Monday, March 26, 2007

Sea animals

A fin whale was found dead in the harbor in Norfolk today. It was hit by a ship and seems it was dragged into the river from the sea. Fin whales are huge (this female was 45 feet long), second in size only to the blue whale. Pictures for the newspaper page I designed tonight are beautiful, heartbreaking. I think about who lives in the waters around here. Why do whales beach themselves to die? Why do we torment, confuse and kill them with sonar, sea litter, sewage and fishing nets? In the summer when I lie in the Bay water, I can hear the dolphins calling to each other as they swim upstream to feed, clicking and cawing. Often, they leap and play – a gift for the early morning or late afternoon observer.
A lot of my imagery comes from the beach and the water. Found objects from the sand or imagined creatures floating simply, buoyantly in salt water. Easy.

No comments: