Friday, March 9, 2007

Ginny's pitcher

I've been designing newspaper pages (work) and there's often a bit of down time while I wait for my stories to come in from the copy desk. So I've been using that time to draw small objects that I bring from home, whatever is at hand. Tonight I look at this drawing and ask "How did I get here?". Over the past few weeks I've evolved into some renderer-of-objects I have never been before. And enjoying it immensely. It feels like another way into myself... not the meditation/still mind/empty mind/draw path, but the deep concentration in the act of drawing for the sake of drawing. If there's a plan here, I like the idea of mixing this rendering of physical elements with drawing from within. Illustrating my inner and outer worlds, or committing the 'whole' to paper.

1 comment:

je said...

Janet, I'm loving this blog about your drawing. I'm just getting familiar with it. Interesting to mesh your traditional art skills with the virtual world. Who woulda thunk it, centuries ago? Decades ago? I'll be in touch! Many, many thanks for the book ... J