Wednesday, March 14, 2007

And the last of the Memphis book ...


Bored yet? Naw. Again, today was spent mostly on the road, driving back home from Pittsburgh. The weather is eerily warm for March, and I wish I hadn't been in the car all day. This small drawing feels almost transparent. I love it when the white of the china marker stands out starkly from the "white" of the page. So much can happen within such a narrow range of tones. What happens when i draw with black on black, or graphite on gray paper? Or white house paint over white paper. Subtle differences that can be sweet and powerful. I found this paragraph written in the Memphis book:

... I think it is the repetition that could be important, repetition of the mark and the spaces between the marks. That by holding very still in it I can hear/see something very useful. Something very quiet and empty/full, like snow on a night field.

1 comment:

Hal Weaver said...

What a beautiful little poem you harvested there. Maybe you should put together a book?