Monday, January 22, 2007

Mouse/garlic

Lately I've been denying myself the use of my favorite materials – parafin, china marker, bronze rubbing sticks, graphite for some – and working with an ink pen. Well, here's a lapse at left. I crave rich blacks and grays and love how the wax resists almost everything I put on over it. I use some unconventional tools too, the 3M pot scrubber would have to be at the top of the list for polishing and sanding, spreading and buffing and eradicating. This particular piece is a quick, fresh study, unlike some where I can work the surface for days.
The spontaneous, sort of "no mind" pieces like this one often hold something precious for me. They are a record of that time spent, the aura of the day. Sometimes they remind me of awareness or clearness, sometimes I remember the contemplation or the humor or the movement and energy.

No comments: