Monday, July 7, 2008

Number 18

It's true. The project I thought would long be finished by now is still in progress. This is No. 18 in the grid of 60 6-inch ink drawings that will - if you haven't seen these before - make up a much larger image of the live oak trees at the end of my block.
Working on this one reminded me of an afternoon a few years ago, drawing outside under one of the trees during an eclipse... of course I couldn't look up to see the moon covering the sun, but I looked down to the paper I was working on. Light filtering through the leaves and branches appeared on the paper in sweet crescent shapes instead of these mostly roundish ones.

1 comment:

David Howard said...

Janet,
I think you have plenty of ideas - it's just that your work is more subtle and sensitive to the patterns and lighting that surrounds you. The build up of textures via different and opposing mark making, creates a visual treat that draws the eye in. Some of you work rebinds me of my brother's partner's artwork - http://elisabethduke.blogspot.com/
The large work of 60 smaller drawings is a good idea - I like that sort of commitment project - it has propulsion built in.
All the best Janet - I'll catch you when I can.
David