Saturday, November 5, 2011

Pop up





I've been making some pop-up sculptures lately, mostly from bad, or maybe just not wonderful drawings (of which I have quite a collection). It's nice to recycle when I can.
There's something really satisfying about successfully cutting out delicate curves and shapes. It's a no-mind sort of process, once I get the panels, elements and folds worked out (definitely a not-no-mind process).

This is a small piece, about 5 inches square when it's flattened out, made from a mixed media drawing on watercolor paper. I'm calling it Bones I, more to come.

2 comments:

Hal Weaver said...

Wow, those photos turned out great! I love this series.

sam hundley said...

That's beautiful, Janet - I really love how the shadows add another layer to the tones in your drawings. And the hard edges compliment what's within. How do you do it? Congratulations!