Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Burren landscape

It's evident that I've had too much coffee... a lot, in fact. Drawings get busier.
I've been thinking lately that I should make landscapes, pondering what makes a landscape... horizon line, big detailed objects in the foreground. Last night late when I was driving home from work, the waning moon was huge and silent, hiding out near the treetops.
If you've ever been to the Burren, this first one might make sense to you. I'm adding a lovely shot of Burren limestone so you can see what I mean. (thank you BamJam.net.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Quite surrealistic - remind me of black and white James Gleeson paintings though not as scary - which is a good thing... I could have yours on the wall but I'm not sure I'd want a Gleeson.
What you wrote reminds me of a thing I saw on telly about a bloke that does constructions out of natural stuff - he does them out in the fields in northern England and videos the procedure. When he's finished he leaves it to the elements. They are very ephemeral things but they must have something going for them because I can recall them vividly five years on. There was one made from reeds and leaves suspended from the branch of a tree - a nothing puff of breeze came along and the whole thing collapsed in a heap before he'd finished it. It didn't matter though, there was nothing there except leaves and reeds and if you had come along the next day you probably would not have noticed that he had even been there. His art disintegrated while he was making it and ended up indistinguishable from the normal leaf litter under the tree.
I like that.
Glad you like my sticks and string.
Cheers Roger