Saturday, June 14, 2008

Ashes to ashes

OK, not what lives inside us so much (variation on a recent theme) as what happens when we don't need it anymore.
I love the deterioration, the natural processes of reclaiming and recycling when the body is worn out. This drawing reminds me of finding a flattened frog baking in the sun on the road, or a days-dead snake in my neighbor's driveway. Leathery, brittle fragments come apart in my hand.

It's Saturday and I got up early to draw before heading down to the Outer Banks (NC) for the rest of the weekend. I've been trying to figure out why I'm working too much (payback for all the weeks I didn't work enough) at work that has little meaning for me anymore. And how I'm going to stop doing it. All around me are people living lives they never imagined, and never meant to have. I don't want that to be me. I'm asking myself why is this the first drawing I've posted in two weeks?

1 comment:

Jill Snapp said...

Hi Janet. Yes. I feel the same concerns, and I am approaching a huge shift. See you Thursday.