Monday, January 14, 2008

Happy Anniversary to me

Setting aside the animations for a moment, I ponder that I have come round to one complete year of blogging. Brilliant!
I've learned a lot in this year: That I can be true to an idea, a commitment; and that I don't have to do it perfectly – i.e. the October gap, the bad drawings posted, the ideas that end up going nowhere; that there are LOTS of ideas kicked around, some taken up, some set aside, some better set aside – and a lot gone and forgotten in the time before I began to put them down.
Bummer.
So, here's to another creative year.
I'd like to get more critical, more philosophical and push my ideas further in the next 12 months. So I resolve to focus, research when necessary, put in more hours, and work a lot harder. And I'll be asking for feedback from my friends, colleagues and visitors. Don't hold back.
Yesterday I finished animating 101 strands in that darned piece (see previous entry). I'm not digging it – it's too flat and too slick. I suspect I need to swallow hard and go to totally hand drawn frames. I will finish it and post it (buck up!) and accept failure. As I am often to do, but usually not in public ...
About this drawing: Making this drawing was a joy. Each stroke of the ink pen (15¢ Papermate) on the slightly textured paper felt good, right, real. I went for an atmosphere that has only been hinted at before in my work. It's very delicate, and I will explore that further, but I wanted to stop before it turned to mud.

No comments: