Sunday, May 6, 2007

Live drawing with pencils

Hal took this photo this morning, the current wing drawing under way. I feel the 'plannedness' of it. It's not like me, premeditating, predrawing; it rankles in a way. But, it's certainly worth doing, a small step on the way to wherever I'm going. While right now I feel confined – by my own hand of course – I ache to finish this part of it and move on, make progress. Next up I think are gestural ink drawings, spontaneous and unthought. Then oil stick painting. Big and physical and quick.
This work makes me appreciate the fleeting quality of all living things. Studying the hawk – just 4 or 5 weeks dead, seeing how quickly the earth reclaimed his living breathing self – I'm left with only the records of my experience with him. And the ways I draw from him reflect the ways in which I can understand life, living and death.

No comments: