Saturday, December 31, 2011

Groundwork

 Whenever I'm outside these days, my eyes have been drawn to the ground. Winter hasn't really kicked in (I wonder if it will at all this year), the soil is damp and rich and almost always in shadow. I suspect that there's a lot going on down in there. Busy life, growing, expanding out, pushing up through the cracks in the pavement, consuming and expelling, roiling under us. Even in this dormant time.

I feel way more light-hearted than that sounds ... this isn't my favorite time of year, but I like the idea of a living, breathing Earth, taking care of itself, getting ready for spring.

All these drawings are from my current sketchbook, measuring about 7 inches square. Pencil, paraffin, china marker and oil crayon on paper.


2 comments:

je said...

LOVE.

Hal Weaver said...

Beautiful stuff my girl. I love the idea of trying to visualize what's going on underground. More! More!