Thursday, September 6, 2007

Air and distance

Looking into a small physical world. No, wait, a really huge expanding physical world puts air and distance between us.
I have a friend who, on seeing 'What the Bleep do We Know?', was taken by the idea that we – everything – are made up mostly of space. Lots of space even within the pieces that make up the tiniest atom. My sister commented that we, as we age and the universe pushes out and away while we do so, are left to ourselves... Is youth a time for connections, in biological, social and whatever ways? And middle age for introspection, stillness, clarity? I'm OK with that, as long as we don't get too cranky or needy.
I was experimenting with cropping this drawing in a severe way – coming down from the top to blot out the sky was claustrophobic; up from the bottom was sort of threatening too, exposed and vulnerable. In the end I left it. Edges lifted by a slight humorous breeze.

No comments: