Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Saw grass takes size 15 needles

Sitting outside this morning drawing. Very hot and humid; saw grass rustling in the breeze off the water. Not stiff and arthritic like this. Graceful and gentle. Dappled sunlight on the sidewalk.
I wonder where all this is headed... simple and small drawings that seem to take forever to make. The thought of going really large with them is way too big a thought.
But I'm contemplating making some big pictures with oil sticks in a similar way. Maybe even color... Yikes.
Right after I finish knitting some of that sawgrass into a shroud. ('Real live bleeding fingers,' as Lucinda Williams would say.)
I can feel myself becoming terse and cynical lately. Because the work doesn't come easily. Because I don't know what I'm doing...

No comments: